which gcc compiler for v3r1

I'm trying to show a group of students the difference in CPUs - performance
wise - using the same C code (generates value of PI through 1M iterations).

Have the code working on a dual 1GHz P3, a 300MHz PowerPC G3, and wanted
to get it working on my Amiga A3000 (w/68040).

v3r1 has been installed from CD ROM.

gcc isn't installed by default, so I've been trying various packages.

I've tried apt-get, dselect, and aptitude to install gcc.  Each time,
I get errors about unresolved dependencies

gcc-3.4 says that it depends on binutils (>=2.15-5) [UNAVAILABLE]
gcc-2.95 says that it depends on binutils (>=2.11.90.0.1-1) [UNAVAILABLE]

apparently no binutils are installed

Can someone give me a pointer to solve this?

Thanks!

jerry
       //  Jerry Heyman      | "Software is the difference between
      //   Amiga Forever :-) |  hardware and reality"
  \\ //    heymanj@acm.org   |
   \X/     http://bellsouthpwp.net/h/e/heymanj/