Re: woody on a Macintosh Quadra 700: "Setting the System Clock using the Hardware Clock as reference..."

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 07:07:24AM +0200, Alex Teclo wrote:
> I am trying to install/use Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 woody on a Macintosh
> Quadra 700
>
> I have tried installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 sarge, but there were two problems:
> 1) There is only 20 MB of RAM on the machine (although sarge should
> support that)

Yes, but the installation will run _very_ slow then.

> 2) The installation of sarge fails always at the same point: when

It could be that it's still running at that point, but so slowly that it
might take a few _days_ before it finishes the install. Going to woody
would indeed seem to be the safer (faster) choice.

Note that upgrading from woody to sarge is still possible, and should
present no problems, even with your amount of RAM.

> So I'm installing woody.
>
> Well, the installation was successful, but there is one problem:
> at boot time, the machine says "Setting the System Clock using the
> Hardware Clock as reference..." and then... nothing happens for
> several minutes. The only solution I have found is to do Ctrl-C on
> this message to skip this step.

That is a known issue; with some models, there are problems with the
hwclock implementation. I didn't know it occurred on woody as well, but
there you go.

You can work around the problem by disabling the hwclock invocation
entirely; remove the symlinks in /etc/rc*.d that link to
/etc/init.d/hwclockfirst.sh or /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh. Only make sure to
keep at least one of them there, though it should then be one that isn't
invoked (if you don't do that, the symlink will be restored the next
time you upgrade util-linux)

--
Fun will now commence