woody on a Macintosh Quadra 700: "Setting the System Clock using the Hardware Clock as reference..."

I am trying to install/use Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 woody on a Macintosh Quadra 700

I have tried installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 sarge, but there were two problems:
1) There is only 20 MB of RAM on the machine (although sarge should
support that)
2) The installation of sarge fails always at the same point: when

So I'm installing woody.

Well, the installation was successful, but there is one problem:
at boot time, the machine says "Setting the System Clock using the
Hardware Clock as reference..." and then... nothing happens for
several minutes. The only solution I have found is to do Ctrl-C on
this message to skip this step.

The machine even says "Setting the System Clock using the Hardware
Clock as reference..." twice: once just after checking the root
filesystem, the second time just after saying "Configuring network
interfaces... done"

Not surprisingly, when shutting down the machine, it says "Saving the
System Clock to the Hardware Clock..." and is stuck. But there, doing
Control-C doesn't solve the problem: I have to power off the machine.
The filesystems aren't cleanly unmounted. And at the next boot, fsck
is forced (it's ext2, not ext3), so starting up takes a very long time
since it's a 9 GB disk.

I have already added the following lines to /etc/modutils/aliases:
alias char-major-10-135 off
alias char-major-4-66 off
alias char-major-4-67 off
alias char-major-4-69 off

I am using the default kernel that comes on the
debian-30r5-m68k/debian-30r5-m68k-binary-1.iso CD, it's the file
linux.bin whose md5sum is:
b4169b1701e7dabe565534a49f6bb717  linux.bin

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers,
Alex