Re: Speedup q840av

On 12/5/06, Michael Tomkins <michft@gmail.com> wrote:

On 06/12/2006, at 8:54 AM, Eugen Paiuc wrote:

> hi brian
>
> nice for your thought,
> On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 01:36 -0800, Brian Morris wrote:
>> i just saw a few kits on ebay made by newer tech,
>> that include crystal boosters (no solder) and
>> heat sinks to boost mhz by up to 40%.
>>
>> works with 840av/800 and some 6xx, unfortunately
>> my qadras (630,605) not listed.
>
> not so :) at least for 605 , take a look here
> http://www.umich.edu/~archive/mac/misc/documentation/
> crystalswapspeedup.txt

i think that the "MacClip" newertech kits were pretty
cool because all the parts together and appear the
leads were presoldered, so really no soldering.

Or better still
http://homepage.mac.com/schrier/mhz.html

i like these because you just move resistors. but you
need *two* soldering irons. note the 630 is there too.

it seems on my g3 though i just need to move a jumper.
boy, i should try this !

The 605 goes to 33 easily but you have to have the right clock for
40Mhz.

i saw a chapter in a book on digital audio about dsp /
chips also recently. did you know they were array
processors ? the speedup is like whole multiples
of the processor speed and it is faster to start with.
i don't about the at&t ones in the macs, the book
discussed motorola dsps. all i have heard about the
at&t were they were harder to program. but this
is linux ...

brian