Re: testing the etch installer

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 09:33:48PM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> Hi,
> has anybody tested the etch installer on m68k yet? I need to reinstall my

I haven't tested it in a while. Maybe I can get it fired up this week.

> Falcon/CT60 and I thought I'd give it a try. The RC1 release of the
> installer does not include any atari kernels, since we activated building
> for atari only after RC1 was released, so I expected some troubles.

I haven't added atari back to d-i since it was dropped from the debian
kernels. I'll try to get to that soon.

> I downloaded the netinst CD image (debian-testing-m68k-netinst.iso) The
> installer scripts are in install/tools and for the amiga users there even
> .info files down to this directory. There is an amiga directory, but no
> amiga.info file, that one seems to have been misplaced in the install
> directory. The StartInstall files all contain this:
> -k //kernels/vmlinuz-2.4.27-amiga
> However, the CD image only contains vmlinuz-2.6.17-2-amiga for the amiga.
> This needs to be adjusted. I have no idea if the StartInstall scripts for
> the various graphic cards still work, the drivers are being removed from
> linux 2.6.19 since they have been marked broken for a long time.

So should we drop the StartInstall scripts or maybe just have a sample?

> For the mac, there exists no directory in the install folder, ie no Penguin
> boot loader, no bootargs, only the kernel image. Is this enough to boot a
> mac with emile? I did not find emile on the image, though.

I haven't added an emile install bit yet. Penguin is contrib, so it's in
the dailies, but not the RC.

> For the atari, nothing is on the image, but I hope atari will be included in
> RC2, at least bootstr.app and a bootargs should be provided. I just used the
> vmlinuz from linux-image-2.6.18-3-atari_2.6.18-6_m68k.deb, since the
> ethernec driver is built in, but I haven't tested that image before. I am
> using the following bootargs:
> -s -d -k vmlinux -r initrd.gz root=/dev/ram video=atafb:sthigh console=tty devfsd=nomount load_ramdisk=1 debian-installer/framebuffer=false ramdisk_size=13000

Okay, I'll make these changes if you think they're correct.

> With a 2.4.30 kernel, I can actually get the installer to start, however it
> fails when trying to detect the network hardware, my 2.4.30 does not have
> the EtherNEC driver (yet). 2.6.18 seems to boot also, but I get no readable
> output on the display, which makes installing difficult. Am I missing a
> magical option to enable graphics on my falcon? I should try to get a 2.4.30
> kernel with built-in EtherNEC, I have my doubts that the atari can load
> network drivers from a floppy.
> 2.6.18 does not include SCSI drivers, since they are (still) broken, so no
> CD-Rom on my Atari and the MO drive won't work either. I could not copy the
> contents of the netinst CD onto the IDE disk, TOS wanted to copy files which
> are not present (Aa, Ab, ...), I was hoping I could install the Atari just
> with the initrd and dowloading everything else from the net.

Do you have all of Michael's patches in the debian kernels?

Peace,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>