Re: Atari Serial

> On wo, 2006-11-01 at 16:01 +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > Talk about an uphill battle, I can't figure out for the life of me which
> > > serial ports are valid on my falcon under linux.  Most of the kernels
> > > don't even seem to have atari_scc.o but the one I ahd does.  When I load
> >
> > Atari serial got dropped from the official tree long time ago (because we
> > were stubborn and didn't adapt our drivers to the new linux way, once
> > Linus had grokked there is serial beyond the 16650). I ported the SCC
> > serial driver (the only one useful on the Falcon) to 2.4 using the generic
> > serial helper routines, which means the device numbers got changed.
>
> I think the non-8250 serial port platform device numbers will need to be
> changed away from TTY_MAJOR.
>
> I ran into this problem on my Amiga 1200. I can't have both the internal
> serial port and a PCMCIA modem or COM port currently, because the major
> device numbers clash.
>
> Documentation/devices.txt also states about major 4, minor 64 and up
> that these are "UART serial ports" and that "UART serial ports refer to
> 8250/16450/16550 series devices".
>
> This is of course an incompatible change for user land, but IMO it
> should be done.

I thought the serial driver now gets assigned the next available minor
dynamically, and selection of the driver is based on that?

But if it helps, I'm fine with using another major. Looking at
devices.txt, major 204/205 seems to collect the non-16550 UARTs. Do you
want to request space in that region?

User space concerns should be minimal - the change won't be backported to
2.4, and 2.6 does udev just fine.