Re: Atari Serial

On wo, 2006-11-01 at 16:01 +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > Talk about an uphill battle, I can't figure out for the life of me which
> > serial ports are valid on my falcon under linux.  Most of the kernels
> > don't even seem to have atari_scc.o but the one I ahd does.  When I load
>
> Atari serial got dropped from the official tree long time ago (because we
> were stubborn and didn't adapt our drivers to the new linux way, once
> Linus had grokked there is serial beyond the 16650). I ported the SCC
> serial driver (the only one useful on the Falcon) to 2.4 using the generic
> serial helper routines, which means the device numbers got changed.

I think the non-8250 serial port platform device numbers will need to be
changed away from TTY_MAJOR.

I ran into this problem on my Amiga 1200. I can't have both the internal
serial port and a PCMCIA modem or COM port currently, because the major
device numbers clash.

Documentation/devices.txt also states about major 4, minor 64 and up
that these are "UART serial ports" and that "UART serial ports refer to
8250/16450/16550 series devices".

This is of course an incompatible change for user land, but IMO it
should be done.

Kind regards,

Kars.