[CRITICAL] Toolchain TLS support

Hi Aurélien,

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 12:49:45AM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> Thread Local Storage (TLS) support has been added to the toolchain
> (binutils, gcc, glibc) some times ago. Currently about half of the
> architectures have full TLS support (ie binutils + gcc + glibc).
>
> If we count the glibc in experimental all the architectures but the
> following have TLS support:
> - hppa
>   It has TLS support in upstream binutils, in gcc 4.1, and there are
>   patches available for glibc, they seems to work. Some people are still
>   working on this. I will send a separate mail for that.
>
> - m68k
>   AFAIK, there is no TLS support in binutils, gcc and glibc.

You also told me glibc 2.5 *cannot* compile without TLS support and
that is *critical* for the m68k port.

> - hurd-i386
>   It has TLS support in binutils, gcc, and glibc, but it is currently
>   disabled in glibc (if I remember correctly, it is due to kernel
>   freeze with TLS activated).
>
> Until now (and for Etch), it was not really a problem for an
> architecture to not have TLS support. However TLS is starting to be used
> in some packages. This include for example glibc 2.4 (but we have
> patches to workaround that), or recent versions of libselinux, so as you
> can see core packages.
>
> In short TLS support will probably be unavoidable and a requirement for
> etch + 1. I think it is time for you porters (mainly for m68k and
> hurd-i386) to start working on TLS support so that it will be ready for
> etch + 1.
>
> For m68k, it seems nobody has stepped up as a glibc maintainer [1],
> which results in an unbuildable glibc 2.4 on m68K. Thanks to Ingo
> Juergensmann, I have access to a m68k machine, and I have started to fix
> the problems. But I don't have the time nor the envy to work on TLS
> support. So please work on that.

Do you mean a Debian maintainer or an upstream maintainer for m68k
glibc?

If only I had the time... Several people have talked about TLS support
for m68k, but it seems nobody has done it so far. I replied to your
post, because it seems to have been ignored and I felt a bit ashamed
of that. ;)

Anyway, I will try to look in the issue and contact the people who
spoke about it earlier on this list.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.   Aurélien GÉRÔME