Re: m68k not a release arch for etch; status in testing, future plans?

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 11:55:02PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> It's with some regret that I have to confirm that m68k is not going to be a
> release architecture for etch.

> We have also asked about removing m68k from testing since it is not
> currently a release candidate; Anthony Towns has indicated his preference
> to defer this until another solution can be implemented for m68k's needs.
> This raises the question again of what such a structure should look like; I
> think it would be a good idea for us to begin to tackle this question,

It's just short of a month since Steve posted this, with, as far as
I've seen, no concrete suggestions on what the m68k porters want to do
about this. I expect we'll be dropping m68k from etch fairly shortly,
unless someone comes up with a plan for supporting a "Debian 4.0-m68k"
release in the next few days.

I'm not sure if that's necessarily a good idea though -- from what I've
seen it might be more useful just to come up with a plan for supporting
a "Debian testing-m68k" variant instead; in which case it won't much
matter if m68k gets dropped from etch; testing can get reconstructed
from unstable relatively easily.

Cheers,
aj