Re: Separate release for m68k (and The Hurd?)

hi,

i just updated my etch cd, watching all these packages downloading
i can never use, i was reminded again there could be a better way.

here is a "lite desktop" that could be installed easily and might be more
useful as well as saving the build pressure:

apt-get install abiword acpi acpi-support acpid anacron apmd bc
beep-media-player bittornado bittornado-gui bogofilter cdparanoia
cdrecord cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client cupsys-driver-gimpprint
dbus-1-utils dillo dc doc-debian dvd+rw-tools esound emelfm fetchmail
mozilla-firefox mozilla-browser foomatic-db foomatic-db-engine
foomatic-db-gimp-print foomatic-db-hpijs foomatic-filters
foomatic-filters-ppds gaim gnome-sudo gnumeric gqview graveman gs-esp
hal hotkey-setup hplip hplip-ppds irssi-text icewm icewm-themes
icewm-common icewm-gnome-support icepref iceme ivman lftp libesd-alsa0
libgl1-mesa libglib2.0-data libglut3 libsasl2-modules libxp6 links2
lynx mc menu mgp mkisofs mousepad numlockx pnm2ppa
powermanagement-interface powernowd procmail readahead rox-filer
screen scrollkeeper slocate smbclient sylpheed synaptic ttf-arabeyes
ttf-arphic-bkai00mp ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp
ttf-arphic-gkai00mp ttf-baekmuk ttf-bitstream-vera ttf-freefont
ttf-indic-fonts x-ttcidfont-conf ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-kochi-mincho
ttf-malayalam-fonts xfonts-scalable xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi
ttf-mgopen ubuntu-docs unzip wdm x-window-system-core xchat
xkeyboard-config xorg-driver-synaptics xpdf xterm xzgv zip xine-ui

i got this list off the Ubuntu lite wiki. now, there is ONLY i86
support there. why ?

i don't know but no reason why not here some others like 68k ?

__________________________

besides a reasonable list of packages (perhaps a few more than the above)
as far as i can tell there needs some improvement in hardware support
before anything like a release of etch: in the mac department i feel we
need Most quadras supported and some MacII types. in unstable should
be try and get the LC quadras and some '030 powerbooks (they were
there at some point).

also there is more hope for me in supporting the coldfire port, in
addition to aranym, perhaps basilisk also. i was on motorola page
yesterday i saw they have 2.6.16 linux there as a cd-iso. where are
those developers ?

if the pressure gets taken off for the busy work maybe there can be
some progress if there is sufficient consideration given to upstream and
"sidestream" neighbors, i believe there could be more hope here
long term than in netbsd which although in better shape now is
perhaps less well situated to bring in developer influences.

so maybe better, IMHO if there is some thing of a branch here,
not a fork just a branch.

brian