Re: Separate release for m68k (and The Hurd?)

Hello,

On Wednesday, October 18, 2006, at 07:25  AM, Brian Morris wrote:

besides a reasonable list of packages (perhaps a few more than the above)
as far as i can tell there needs some improvement in hardware support
before anything like a release of etch: in the mac department i feel we
need Most quadras supported and some MacII types. in unstable should
be try and get the LC quadras and some '030 powerbooks (they were
there at some point).

true, apart some broken packages, we have a problem with kernel support. My original purpose in joing this list is that linux-mac68k on purplehat died and I watend news on our kernel status (on mac). I want to make sure that some upstream (or other packages which I hope will get in cluded in debian) programs which I am involved in compile on mac68k. But I can do it only if the computers I have are reliable enough to do this task. Sadly, the 2.2 kernel is not up to this task anymore and it had problems already "back then", so 2.6 is my hope.

if the pressure gets taken off for the busy work maybe there can be
some progress if there is sufficient consideration given to upstream and
"sidestream" neighbors, i believe there could be more hope here
long term than in netbsd which although in better shape now is
perhaps less well situated to bring in developer influences.
well, NetBSD still works pretty fine on 68k, but I sense a lack of development for it on the kernel side and the transition to 2.x and 3.x carried some breakage too. But that is off topic here.

Have a nice day,
  Riccardo