Re: Damn Small Linux for m68k?

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 09:11:50PM -0700, Brian Morris wrote:
> as far as 68k goes, i have tried a couple test things:
> 1) using emile rescue disk to boot about triples my machines speed,

Is that the Debian-packaged version? On what machine?

> (it expands to a mini system on a ram disk of about 10MB)
>
> 2) even after mknod /dev/sda6 mounting and chrooting it still seems faster.

Cool.

> 3) when i installed sarge i went for the most basic install, came out to
> around 150mb to my relief as on powerpc it is more like 400, and etch
> seems to have increased size by around 50%.

Yes; m68k has always had an instruction set which is rather easy and
does not require a lot of opcodes; as a result, binaries are much
smaller, on average.

> 4) my own plans for now i am not trying to work with Xwindows but i
> want some decent programming suite of tools and i am shooting
> for around 400 MB total size

What type of programming? I do think this should be possible, but it
very much depends on what you want to do.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22