Re: Damn Small Linux for m68k?

On 9/26/06, Petr Stehlik <pstehlik@sophics.cz> wrote:
Brian,

you quoted me but didn't add anything yours. That confused me.

Petr

excuse me please, i am really struggling here with etch transitional isssues on
my old world powerpc laptop, i am sort of slipping and sliding around here,
because the "feel" of this machine has been changing too often for my
"trained reflexes". i don't know if that makes any sense ?? i have some
challenges with typing and usually the older keyboards make it easier, but
not sometimes in a testing environment, it takes extra extra care.

anyway i did have some comments but i am still having trouble with
this machine, with etch and firefox, note it is slow by todays standards
but still this '97 model is some eight times faster than my '94 notebook.
working with this computer i feel i am really on the edge as far as
useability, so with a newer machine you would not notice  the slowdowns.

as far as 68k goes, i have tried a couple test things:
1) using emile rescue disk to boot about triples my machines speed,
(it expands to a mini system on a ram disk of about 10MB)

2) even after mknod /dev/sda6 mounting and chrooting it still seems faster.

3) when i installed sarge i went for the most basic install, came out to
around 150mb to my relief as on powerpc it is more like 400, and etch
seems to have increased size by around 50%.

4) my own plans for now i am not trying to work with Xwindows but i
want some decent programming suite of tools and i am shooting
for around 400 MB total size

5) if i can ever get an "full" '40/etch system going i might try xwindow and
perhaps use package list of the ubuntu lite project (last i looked no
more than a list and some discussions, more or less restricted to intel)

anyway there are some thoughts/experiences of mine along these lines.