Re: linux-image-2.6-17-mac tries

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 03:10:01AM -0700, Brian Morris wrote:
> hi, all
>
> checking in -
>
> i have been trying the 2.6.17 kernel on my old lcIII/performa450
> (68030 no FPU).
>
> its a bit of a mish-mash, how i did.
>
> download linux-image-2.6*.deb
>
> ran apt-get install module-init-tools and initramfs-tools
> (which brought in about 12 more packages to resolve dependencies)
>
> ran dpkg install l*2.6*deb
>
> editing initramfs-tools/config to modules=dep
> mkinitramfs -o initrd-dep-test
>
> copy that back up to hfs mac space with kernel to boot w/penguin.

The initrd is not used on m68k, so don't worry about copying it onto the mac
OS side or giving it as a boot parameter. All necessary drivers are built
in, everything else can be loaded from the modules when you installed the
deb.

> (all above done on base sarge install, added etch cd-rom of
> 8-10-06 for init tools etc via apt-cdrom ... )
> (part of this i did booted from emile resue disc for speedier a little)
>
> trying to boot right now i get hang up right after it identifies
> the scsi devices, i think maybe i should check or redo the initrd again.
> the errors read :
> block_queue_max_hardware_segments:set to minimum 1
> (repeated 10x -between around scsci device idents, followed by)
>
> "bus error in macscsi_pread"

I don't know about the SCSI hardware in your mac, on a Q840AV, I use:
mac53c9x=1,0

> i took me a few tries with the ppc arch. well.

ppc arch on an m68k mac?

> the system will still boot 2.2 kernel. it just complains about
> missing udev support briefly, skips it.
>
> i was thinking about i should configure slattach and then i could
> log in with a serial cable via the one of my old world powemacs.
> in case it does boot eventually, i could work with it that way, i
> could have a xterm window on serial line IP...

If SCSI does not work, I doubt you can log in via slip. Most people suggest
that you install a full CPU, ie one with FPU.

> i also tried still booting the 540 again. i need it to at least get

Thats a different machine? A notebook? IIRC that was not supported very
well by the kernel.

> into the system, version of the kernel, before i am going to
> try all that compiling... It should boot, at least, right ? but
> it does same thing as 2.6 here is panic/stack trace (so much
> output i can't see what happened).
>
> i am trying to see to  acess /build new cross
> compiler.  (i can't stand osX/gratis past Jaguar,  so I have to use the
> debian/libre version).

I can't follow here. What compiling? What does OSX have to do with an m68k
mac?

Christian