Re: [buildd] Etch?

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Finn Thain wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > > Was there ever a release with no bugs? No known bugs?
> >
> > Of course not.
> >
> > But an unreliable toolchain is a guarantee for more bugs.
>
> I think I see what you meant: we might still meet the release criteria for
> etch while there are still packages unbuilt due to toolchain bugs. Now
> that _would_ be a problem for Gentoo ;-)

Sorry if I didn't make it clear what I meant. I'll try to explain.
An unreliable toolchain causes:
 1. Compile failures -> obvious
 2. Broken applications that are used a lot: basic tools (e.g. ls), system
    tools (e.g. ifconfig), things run during boot up (e.g. fsck), build tools
    (e.g. bison) -> probably easy to find they are broken
 3. Broken applications that are rarely used -> non-obvious

So while we will know about the packages in categories 1 and 2, there may be
lots of silent breakage in category 3.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds