Re: APUS still supported?

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 11:21:00PM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:12:41PM +0100, Adan Kohler wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I don't know if this is the correct mailing list for this type of question, so please don't flame me :-):
> >
> > As I've read there's a need for testers for the current 2.6.15 kernel.
>
> > I have an Amiga 4000 with CyberStorm PPC (68060 companion CPU) and a PIV
> > here in operation. Currently I'm running Linux APUS (i.e. a PowerPC
> > version) so I can't really provide much help since all software besides
> > the kernel is compiled for the PowerPC. The question is this: Does anybody
>
> You run an m68k kernel with a powerpc userspace?
>
> > know if the APUS kernel is still maintained or did it die with 2.4.27?
> > Because if there is no APUS support in the future I would just re-install
> > an 68k-system and could go into kernel testing, too... (even if I'll miss
> > the speed of the PowerPC, it doesn't make much sense to set on a system
> > that is no longer supported, does it?) Is there generally a testing demand
> > for this type of configuration or would I just be a high number on a list
> > of testers with the same hardware?
>
> I think APUS is still supported, but Sven will know all about it. I see
> powerpc-apus patches in the 2.6.15 svn which regularily conflict with m68k
> patches, so I assume there is still active development for apus. However,

Yes, indeed, the current linux-image-2.6.15-1-apus kernel in unstable/testing
should work on powerup boards, altough as i am doing the config files fully
without hardware (my blizzardppc got lost at DCE), i can make no guarantee
that it actually works.

One of the hurdles is that the 2.6 scsi drivers have some trouble booting, and
i believe it would be benefical to have the m68k and powerpc amiga kernels
more thightly merged, will try to work on this later on.

The 2.4.27 apus kernel in sarge is known to work, altough d-i has a few
glitches if i remember well, but i have seen Mark Ohlsen do a successful
install a couple of month ago.

Friendly,

Sven Luther