Re: APUS still supported?

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 10:12:41PM +0100, Adan Kohler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't know if this is the correct mailing list for this type of question, so please don't flame me :-):
>
> As I've read there's a need for testers for the current 2.6.15 kernel.

> I have an Amiga 4000 with CyberStorm PPC (68060 companion CPU) and a PIV
> here in operation. Currently I'm running Linux APUS (i.e. a PowerPC
> version) so I can't really provide much help since all software besides
> the kernel is compiled for the PowerPC. The question is this: Does anybody

You run an m68k kernel with a powerpc userspace?

> know if the APUS kernel is still maintained or did it die with 2.4.27?
> Because if there is no APUS support in the future I would just re-install
> an 68k-system and could go into kernel testing, too... (even if I'll miss
> the speed of the PowerPC, it doesn't make much sense to set on a system
> that is no longer supported, does it?) Is there generally a testing demand
> for this type of configuration or would I just be a high number on a list
> of testers with the same hardware?

I think APUS is still supported, but Sven will know all about it. I see
powerpc-apus patches in the 2.6.15 svn which regularily conflict with m68k
patches, so I assume there is still active development for apus. However,
you are more than welcome to also test the m68k kernels. For basic testing,
you would not even need a fully installed m68k system, although if you have
a spare partition, that would not hurt either. For starters, you could
simply boot the kernel with amiboot and maybe use the sarge installer boot
floppy to see something happening. I would be very interested if, and how,
you get the PicassoIV to work in your machine. I have one in my Amiga2000,
and I never got any output from it in Linux, except from the integrated
flicker fixer, but at a lousy resolution, fairly bad picture quality, plus a
few lines at the bottom of the display are out of bounds for my monitor,
which makes entering commands on the console a little difficult. I have no
idea if PicassoIV is still supported in linux-2.6, but my problems might
just be due to missing Zorro2 support, which would be easier to fix than if
the board is not supported at all. Once I saw a PIV in action, I think in an
Amiga3000, but that was just after the potato release I think, so probably
with a 2.2 kernel, things have changed quite a bit since then.

Christian