Re: linux-image-2.6.15-6 (was: Solution for issue with PicassoII and flickering pixels)

On 12.02.2006, Christian Steigies wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 12:43:07PM -0500, Peter Krummrich wrote:
> Hmm, your clock seems to be off?

Well, on the Amiga side, the clock is off by approx. 1 hour. Last time I set
it, we still had daylight savings. I was too lazy to adjust for end of
daylight savings. On the linux side, it is off by two hours.

>> On 10.02.2006, Christian Steigies wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I am uploading linux-2.6 (2.6.15-6) for m68k, the linux-images are
>> already available on my linux-image page
>>
>> http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/linux-image/
>>
>> With these images, several problems should be fixed, everybody please
>> test: - picasso2 flickering pixels
>>
>> I gave it a try, but it was only partially successful. Booting went fine,
>> but the Kernel used the afb framebuffer. Due to the scan ranges of my
>> monitor, I did not see anything on the screen.
>>
>> Keyboard seems to work. I managed to log in (blindly...) and save a log
>> from dmesg in a file. Loading the cirrusfb module using modprobe did not
>> result in a display on the screen.
>>
>> I added cirrusfb to my modules file and rebooted - again nothing on the
>> screen. Logging into the box from the network did not work either (does
>> work with 2.4.27 kernel).
>>
>> So my testing capabilities are rather limited. All I can offer are two
>> output files from dmesg attached to this message (first one without
>> cirrusfb in modules, second one with).
>>
>> How can I concince the kernel to use cirrusfb instead of afb? Is there an
>> option for amiboot like video=clgen for the 2.4.27 kernel?
>
>> From your second log:
>
> cirrusfb: CL Picasso board detected; RAM (2 MB) at $200000, REG at $ec0000
> Cirrus Logic chipset on Zorro bus cirrusfb: Driver for Cirrus Logic based
> graphic boards, v2.0-pre2 eth0: X-Surf at 0x00ed0000, Ethernet Address
> 52:54:40:28:b2:0f
>
> The Picasso board was detected (after the module loaded, does it have to
> be built in?)
> There should be a kernel option to activate it, seems to be
> cirrusfb.
> Maybe fbset can help you switch to the second fb device?

I tried with fbset -fb /dev/fb1 "640x480-60", assuming that afb is loaded as
/dev/fb0 and cirrusfb as /dev/fb1. But the screen did not switch. Either I
mistyped something or it did not work. Testing without seeing something
(error messages, ...) is not really fun.

> I have
> to try the cirrusfb option myself, maybe I can get the PIV to work with
> that, I also always tried with clgen...

I tried video=clgen (the one that worked for clgenfb), video=cirrus and
video=cirrusfb. None of them activated the PicassoII board.

> But why does your NIC not work? It is detected by the kernel, so I assume
> the right module is loaded.

It seems to be the right module. The module is able to read the MAC address
of the adapter. Either the module has some other problems or the 2.6 kernel
requires something different in the network configuration? Again, difficult
to test, if there is no display...

> A working keyboard is good news already!

The keyboard works fine. Even the right layout (de).

> Christian

Best Regards,

Peter