Re: Installing Sarge (3.1r1) on Amiga

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 10:04:13PM -0500, Peter Krummrich wrote:

> The description seems to differ slightly from what Christian offered. I will
> read the man page and try.

Thats because everybody gives different IPs to different machines. My
Linksys router insists on .1.1, my Amiga has had .1.2 for ages. But I
wonder, why do you reconfigure it, if dhcp set it up fine? I installed about
a dozen i386 and amd64 machines in the last year, if dhcp works, it works,
ie you get a working internet connection. In case the NIC is not detected or
DHCP is not set up on your network (or you pull the network cable for this
step), the installer allows you to manually configure the network by asking
a few simple questions. IMHO, it would be better, it if allowed you a static
configuration even if DHCP is present on your network, but the way it works
right now, a successfull debian installation mainly consists of the right
amounts of key presses on the "any key", which all our students, that I am
trying to rescue from the commercial software plague, are able to perform.

> Increases my feeling that some Debian configuration tool or script for
> network configuration, keyboard layout configuration and some other basic
> configuration tasks that can be started anytime (not only during the
> install process) may be helpful.

There probably is linuxconf and many other tools available to do that, but
there is only so much you can do, if you want to keep the installer to a
mimnnimum, and have to have it running on all kinds of hardware, including
m68k machines, that only support a text basded installation at the moment.

Christian