Re: Installing Sarge (3.1r1) on Amiga

Hi Stephen,

On 16.01.2006, you wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 10:36:03PM -0500, Peter Krummrich wrote:
>> Hi Stephen,

<snip>

>> Yes. Is there some special Debian configuration program or should I use
>> a generic one like linuxconf?
>
> You could. I haven't messed with linuxconf in years.
>
> First I would modprobe zorro8390. If that works, add it to /etc/modules.
>
> The debian way for networks is man 5 interfaces.
>
> /etc/network/interfaces
>     auto eth0
>
>     iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> or
>     iface eth0 inet static
>               address 192.168.1.1
>                   netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> or some such.
>
> Then ....
>
> $ ifup eth0

The description seems to differ slightly from what Christian offered. I will
read the man page and try.

Increases my feeling that some Debian configuration tool or script for
network configuration, keyboard layout configuration and some other basic
configuration tasks that can be started anytime (not only during the
install process) may be helpful.

>>> It would be interesting to know whether modprobe zorro8390 from vt2 of
>>> the installation would've gotten you a working network.

<snip>

>>> That shouldn't happen: network or cd?
>>>

>> CD set
>
> I'll have to investigate. It's probably hardcoded and doesn't really
> apply to us anyway. It didn't actually cause a failure did it? (I mean
> where the installer stops and complains?)

Fortunately, the installer just displayed the errror message and did not
stop.

> Thanks,
>
> Stephen

Best Regards,