Re: directory named xfree68 instead of xfree86

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Lance Tagliapietra wrote:
> keywords: Sarge m68k X11 xdm XF86Config-4 XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1
> keywords: Amiga framebuffer clgen
>
> In my investigations as to why X aborts with a Signal 7 error, I
> discovered a potential error in the install.  I observed that
> a directory
> /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/xfree68 existed,  where I would have expected
> that directory to be named
> /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/xfree86 noting the transposition of the numbers
> in the directory name.
>
> Perhaps this is correct, though, since file /etc/X11/xkb/symbols.dir
> references xfree68.

Originally we had XFree86 on ia32 aka x86 only.
When it was ported to m68k, I decided to call it XFree68 (for m68k and
correct^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hendianness).
And the X server for the (at that time m68k-only) frame buffer device was
called XF68_FBDev.

I think PPC used the name XFree86 for a while as well.

> I was looking here becauase xkbcomp gives an error concerning not being
> able to find symbols for pc/usa1, but I would be expecting it to look
> for amiga(usa1), but symbols.dir lists xfree68/amiga(usa1), where my
> XF86Config-4 lists for rules as xfree86.
>
> Please see http://www.luminet.net/~lancetag/debian/XF86Config-4 for my
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and
> http://www.luminet.net/~lancetag/debian/startx.log for the signal 7
> error generated by startx (and also occurs when X is started during
> boot up.
>
> Note that the xdm still works, as I have an Envizex X Terminal which
> runs on this machine using the m68k xdm.
>
> Suggestions?

Maybe the whole XFree68 has become obsolete?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds