Re: Release Notes - What kernel versions are supported?

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 10:33, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken (and I'm sure Stephen or Christian will correct me
> if I am), it's as follows: for mac, 2.2; for everything else, 2.4. The
> architectures only supported by 2.6 kernels haven't been tested very
> well yet, and don't yet have debian-installer support either; so these
> don't have to be mentioned in the release notes, I'd say (or if you do,
> only to say that there's no supported installer for them yet).

Based on the information I've seen so far I would propose to include the
following texts in the release notes.

In "What's new in Debian sarge":
   Debian sarge for the m68k architecture ships with kernel versions 2.2.25
   and 2.4.27. For some subarchitectures 2.6.8 kernels are also available,
   but these should be considered experimental.

In "New installations":
   Depending on the subarchitecture, installation may be possible using
   either a 2.2.25 kernel or a 2.4.27 kernel or both. For mac the 2.2.25
   kernel is preferred, for other subarchitectures the 2.4.27 kernel.

   There currently is no support for atari partitions in <prgn/partman/, the
   component used in <package/debian-installer/ to partition and format disks.
   This means this step has to be performed manually. For further information
   please see the Installation Guide (link to [1]).

I don't think the actual procedure to do this manually is currently
documented in the installation guide. It would be very good if someone
would provide a text for inclusion (as a Note) in [1].

[1] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.m68k/ch06s03.html#di-partition