Re: Release Notes - What kernel versions are supported?

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 06:27:54PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 May 2005 10:33, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > If I'm not mistaken (and I'm sure Stephen or Christian will correct me
> > if I am), it's as follows: for mac, 2.2; for everything else, 2.4. The
> > architectures only supported by 2.6 kernels haven't been tested very
> > well yet, and don't yet have debian-installer support either; so these
> > don't have to be mentioned in the release notes, I'd say (or if you do,
> > only to say that there's no supported installer for them yet).
>
> Based on the information I've seen so far I would propose to include the
> following texts in the release notes.
>
> In "What's new in Debian sarge":
>    Debian sarge for the m68k architecture ships with kernel versions 2.2.25
>    and 2.4.27. For some subarchitectures 2.6.8 kernels are also available,
>    but these should be considered experimental.
>
> In "New installations":
>    Depending on the subarchitecture, installation may be possible using
>    either a 2.2.25 kernel or a 2.4.27 kernel or both. For mac the 2.2.25
>    kernel is preferred, for other subarchitectures the 2.4.27 kernel.
>
>    There currently is no support for atari partitions in <prgn/partman/, the
>    component used in <package/debian-installer/ to partition and format disks.
>    This means this step has to be performed manually. For further information
>    please see the Installation Guide (link to [1]).

Before I forget this:

the vmelilo-installer issue I asked about on debian-boot still exists. I
gave it a shot last weekend, but had to go before I could finish it. I'm
hoping to be able to finish it up later this week, but I'm not sure
whether I'll be in time for the release. If I'm not, this might still be
release notes material.

The issue is that vmelilo-installer doesn't work if you've got a 2.4
kernel (2.2 is fine; however, if you do that then the serial console
isn't detected correctly, and you end up with a system that requires you
to fix inittab before you can log in at the console)

Still, 2.4 is preferred, since booting the system from the installation
media with a "root=" parameter set, and manually configuring vmelilo
afterwards, isn't all that hard.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond