Re: Release Notes - What kernel versions are supported?

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 08:01:45AM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 10:33:12AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>
> > For 2.4.27, all of the above plus Q40/Q60.
>
> Neither Q40 nor atari are fully supported in d-i until we get
> bts#239816 fixed. I know there is a workaround for atari. Q40 is as yet
> untested and probably incomplete (like I should package the bootloader).
>
> > For 2.6.8, all of the above plus HP9000 and Sun3 machines.
>
> Both of which are untested in d-i.
>
> > > - Which are preferred / used by default by Debian Installer?
> >
> > Now that is a very good question :-)
> >
> > If I'm not mistaken (and I'm sure Stephen or Christian will correct me
> > if I am), it's as follows: for mac, 2.2; for everything else, 2.4. The
> > architectures only supported by 2.6 kernels haven't been tested very
> > well yet, and don't yet have debian-installer support either; so these
> > don't have to be mentioned in the release notes, I'd say (or if you do,
> > only to say that there's no supported installer for them yet).
>
> Well done, Wouter.
>
> Indeed, I believe there are no 2.6 kernels at all for m68k in sarge.

There are 2.6.8 kernels in sarge, for amiga the kernel works, for mac it
does not work, for the other subarches I don't know yet, some day my atari
is in a shape that I can test it.

I have a 2.6.11 for amiga, which works very well and I have a 2.6.10 from
Finn, which works reasonable well on my mac. However, the keyboard does not
work on the mac, so it is not suitable for installation. The installer
however uses the kernels as mentioned by Wouter, and I don't think it makes
sense to rush newer 2.6 kernels into sarge, they would not be allowed
anyhow, but you can easily install them later, actually that is how I set up
my mac from scratch a week ago. But for post-sarge it will be good to have
something newer than 2.2.25 for mac...

As for atari not being supported, I don't remember the problem right now,
but in woody we had a bug with missing SCSI devices which has not been fixed
until now officially. It took probably two years until the first user
complains came in that they could not install. There is a workaround and
there are fixed boot-floppies on my pages. I don't think this bug kept
people from installing debian, since there was an easy answer to their
problem. I would even go so far and think due to this problem more people
installed debian/m68k. They had a problem and reported it and they had an
answer in less than half an hour. If that is not good support, what is, so
they where not frightened if other problems came up.

Christian