Re: Release Notes - What kernel versions are supported?

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 10:33:12AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> For 2.4.27, all of the above plus Q40/Q60.

Neither Q40 nor atari are fully supported in d-i until we get
bts#239816 fixed. I know there is a workaround for atari. Q40 is as yet
untested and probably incomplete (like I should package the bootloader).

> For 2.6.8, all of the above plus HP9000 and Sun3 machines.

Both of which are untested in d-i.

> > - Which are preferred / used by default by Debian Installer?
>
> Now that is a very good question :-)
>
> If I'm not mistaken (and I'm sure Stephen or Christian will correct me
> if I am), it's as follows: for mac, 2.2; for everything else, 2.4. The
> architectures only supported by 2.6 kernels haven't been tested very
> well yet, and don't yet have debian-installer support either; so these
> don't have to be mentioned in the release notes, I'd say (or if you do,
> only to say that there's no supported installer for them yet).

Well done, Wouter.

Indeed, I believe there are no 2.6 kernels at all for m68k in sarge.

<stephen@marenka.net>