Re: Amiga and Sarge: any hope to have X working?

Alle 21:34, martedì 11 ottobre 2005, Kars de Jong ha scritto:
> On ma, 2005-10-10 at 02:41 +0200, Emiliano wrote:

> > I'm using kernel 2.4.27-amiga as found on the first CD. I guess the
> > "fbdev" (as set in XF86Config-4) is missing from that kernel...
>
> I don't think that's the case, it's always present in an m68k kernel.

I see.

> You have a 68060, and I believe the module loader in X (XFree86 or Xorg)
> still doesn't do cache flushing, which will cause the '060 with its 8k
> instruction cache to fail. With other CPUs (especially a '030) things
> usually work fine even without the cache flushes because its cache gets
> flushed all the time anyway, and the cache is tiny anyway.

Thanks for your explanation. Is there some way to turn the cache (temporarily)
off?

> On my HP300 (with a '040) it manages to start X about once every ten
> times.

> Plus it's a pain to compile X.

May I help with this issue? I used to be an amiga coder, I also know basics
about linux programming on x86, so maybe I can give it a look...

The best thing would be a VM inside a fast linux box, or even a cross-compiler
on the x86.

I guess if I can make a null-modem network beetween the Amiga and the PC. It
should be possible, since I did it under Windows and Amiga OS.

Regards,
Emiliano