Re: creating a linux partition on a mac hard disc, questions about penguin, installer problems

Brad Boyer wrote:
On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 12:23:06AM +0100, ma_pri_2004 wrote:

Using initrd22.gz (marenka and standard) ends with kernel panic.
Before it shows:

RAMDISK: compressed image found at 0
attempt to access beyond end of device
01:00 rw=0 want=6508 limit=4096

then follows lines like
ext2fs error: ...

What does this mean? It can?t create an ext2 file system in the ram disk?
Is "want=" and "limit=" RAM the kernel wants and has?
I tried all initrd(22) from cdrom, hdinstall, nativehd and had alwas the same values: want=6508 limit=4096.

This means that the device (/dev/ram) only has 4096 blocks, but the
filesystem driver is trying to access block 6508. Presumably this
is because the image you are loading is larger than the amount of
memory being set aside for each ramdisk. You will need to add a kernel
command line option to increase the maximum size of a ramdisk. Someone
please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is "ramdisk_size=<size>".
Without this option, the part of the uncompressed image that ends up
past an offset of 4096K is ignored.

Right, and the new debian installer needs a ramdisk_size of 13000 at this moment, older ramdisks used to need 20000, but this was before June or so, when we had only a beta3 of the new debian installer.

HTH, Erik.
Erik C.J. Laan				elaan at dds.nl
Please reply below the message, please cut unrelevant pieces from a reply.