Re: creating a linux partition on a mac hard disc, questions about penguin, installer problems

ma_pri_2004 wrote:

Hello,

Goal: Install Sarge or Woody on a MacIIci
Hardware:
- MacIIci, 32MB RAM, nic (etherlink/nb), graphic card, cache card
- internal HD with 2 partitions: 1 MacOS-Partition, 1 other which has to
  be formated for linux
- connected to a SCSI-Tower including 2 CD drives
- floppy drive is broken

Software:
- MacOs 7.5.3 installed. Does not find the CD-drives.
- Netboot-CDs of m86k Sarge and Woody (both downloaded 18.10.2004)
- Penguin19. Finds all Hardware (including CD drives).
  Boot paramters: root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=13000
  (also tried ramdisk_size=20000)
  Kernel: vmlinuz-2.2.25-mac
  inid.rd from /cdrom (marenka files, downloaded 18.10.2004)

Questions
1) Can Linux partitions be created on a hard disc with installed MacOS
from within MacOS or from Linux/Windows/Basilsik running on another PC?
I know that the debian installer should give me this option, but I have
problems to get there.
The I copy copy all necessary stuff for the base system on the linux
partition.

With the MacOS partitioning tools I usually make a "A/UX Root&Usr" partition. mac-fdisk takes this one, and makes it a Linux type partition. Don't know how about the partman tool in new debian installer, because I can't get it to actually make and format my partitions due to memory contraints (I only have 24 Mb, and the ramdisk takes 13000 kB).

2) What value should the ramdisk_size parameter be in woody and sarge
 (the mac has 32MB RAM)? Is there a simple way to calculate this?

Don't know for woody (anymore) because it's been a long time since I installed that. It used to be 20000 for sarge and the new debian installer, but is now down to 13000.

3) What initrd should be chosen?
a) If the install media should be cdrom, then the initrd should be taken
from the directory called "cdrom"?

Sorry, don't know that one, I always start the kernel and ramdisk with Penguin en subsequently load everyting from the net.

b) There are: initrd22.gz, initrd.gz. Which one should be chosen? Why?

initrd.gz for installing with a 2.4.x kernel, initrd22.gz for installing with a 2.2.x kernel.

c) What is the use of initrd.list?

Never needed that. Looks like a list of packages that are put into the initrd*.gz images. Probably left-over from the image-buildprocess.

4) Strange look in sarge and woody installer.
The border of text windows of the debian installer looks strange:
always 2 blocks and one "â"-character, sometimes borders are partly out
of the screen (photo exists and could be send). Is this OK?

Had that error to until Stephen R. Marenka told me to use the initrd22.gz image for 2.2 kernel installs. See my bugreport 268792 about this (#268792, http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=268792).

5) Problems with sarge and woody loading on both CD drives.
Penguin runs, asks for language, finds CD-ROMS and tries to load
installer components.
sarge: It Aborts after 7% with the following message
Any idea? I can´t continue, because after pressing "<continue>" a blank
screen appeared.

I had this too when using the initrd.gz image with a 2.2.x kernel. See the same bugreport. Solved by using the initrd22.gz image.

woody: Comes to installer components too and aborts by saying it has
problems reading the CD.
Maybe the cdroms are too old for CDRs (I didn´t bought them). On the
other hand did the installer load other udebs (in sarge) before showing
a read error.
Any idea? Has anyone successfully used the (net) install CDs?
SCSI-IDs are okay, SCSI-termination should be correct.

Thanks for any help (again).

No problem. HTH, Erik
Erik C.J. Laan				elaan at dds.nl
Please reply below the message, please cut unrelevant pieces from a reply.