Re: creating a linux partition on a mac hard disc, questions about penguin, installer problems

Using initrd22.gz (marenka and standard) ends with kernel panic.
Before it shows:

RAMDISK: compressed image found at 0
attempt to access beyond end of device
01:00 rw=0 want=6508 limit=4096

then follows lines like
ext2fs error: ...

What does this mean? It can´t create an ext2 file system in the ram disk?
Is "want=" and "limit=" RAM the kernel wants and has?
I tried all initrd(22) from cdrom, hdinstall, nativehd and had alwas the same values: want=6508 limit=4096.

With the MacOS partitioning tools I usually make a "A/UX Root&Usr" partition. mac-fdisk takes this one, and makes it a Linux type partition. Don't know how about the partman tool in new debian installer, because I can't get it to actually make and format my partitions due to memory contraints (I only have 24 Mb, and the ramdisk takes 13000 kB).
The partition was made with a patched MacOS partitioning tool and it is "A/UX Root&Usr" type partition.

When using the initrd.gz (I don´t come there with initrd22.gz) the installer shows errors and gives the opportunity to open a shell. Maybe I could mount the debian-cd and run mac-fdisk or partman?
How to do that? In /etc/fstab is no entry for the cdroms.

Don't know for woody (anymore) because it's been a long time since I installed that. It used to be 20000 for sarge and the new debian installer, but is now down to 13000.
I tried 13000 and 20000 in woody and sarge.

3) What initrd should be chosen?
a) If the install media should be cdrom, then the initrd should be taken
from the directory called "cdrom"?

Sorry, don't know that one, I always start the kernel and ramdisk with Penguin en subsequently load everyting from the net.
Before trying this I have to set up my router with a bnc-nic first.
Which inidtrd(22) did you use? Did you load an ISO or used a floppy disc? Was it netinstall? Maybe I could do that too, but I have only ISDN here and this could become expensive. Or a friend could download the CDs and I maybe I get create a local debian server here.

b) There are: initrd22.gz, initrd.gz. Which one should be chosen? Why?
initrd.gz for installing with a 2.4.x kernel, initrd22.gz for installing with a 2.2.x kernel.
Cool.

c) What is the use of initrd.list?
Never needed that. Looks like a list of packages that are put into the initrd*.gz images. Probably left-over from the image-buildprocess.
OK

4) Strange look in sarge and woody installer.
The border of text windows of the debian installer looks strange:
always 2 blocks and one "â"-character, sometimes borders are partly out
of the screen (photo exists and could be send). Is this OK?

Had that error to until Stephen R. Marenka told me to use the initrd22.gz image for 2.2 kernel installs. See my bugreport 268792 about this (#268792, http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=268792).
Interesting Report. I use the vmlinuz-2.2.25-mac kernel and the init22.gz.

5) Problems with sarge and woody loading on both CD drives.
Penguin runs, asks for language, finds CD-ROMS and tries to load
installer components.
sarge: It Aborts after 7% with the following message
Any idea? I can´t continue, because after pressing "<continue>" a blank
screen appeared.
Jut for information: this was using the initrd,gz (not init22.gz).

No problem. HTH, Erik
Thanks!