Re: ext3

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 06:41:27PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 17:12 -0600, Tony Pitman wrote:
> > Ron,
> >
> > Do I need a new 'linux' file that goes on my Mac partition that Penquin
>
> Don't know.
>
> > uses or just upgrade the kernel on the hard drive in the linux partition?
>
> That would be my guess.

Urgs... isn't that explained in the installation docs somewhere? I guess I
should add it to the FAQ...

wajig install kernel-image-2.2.25-mac/unstable (testing will do as well, and
if you don't use wajig, you have to apt-get, if you don't have unstable or
testing in your sources.list, read about apt-get and google about pinning).
Of course you can also download the kernel-images manually install them with
wajig/apt-get. This will replace the modules in /lib/modules/2.2.25-mac and
some files in /boot. You do not want to run lilo nor create a boot floppy,
but you want to reboot soon. Of course you have to copy the
vmlinuz-2.2.25-mac file to the mac partition before rebooting (cp) and tell
your Penguin to now use this file as the kernel. Are you sure this is not
mentioned in the install guide???

Yes, you have to mount your mac partition to be able to copy the kernel
there.

buildd@tanda:~>grep mac /etc/fstab
/dev/sda3       /mac            hfs     ro                      0       0

and yes, it has to be writable, so either edit fstab (be sure to choose the
right partition too!), or use remount_rw (I prefer to have the mac partition
non writable during normal operation)

cts@aahz:~>cat /usr/sbin/remount_rw
#!/bin/bash
mount -oremount,rw $1