Re: light weight desktop for browsing

Tony Pitman wrote:
Stephen,

It is the LC model chip. How do I tell if it needs the mac53c9x=1,0

Tony

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 01:15:55PM -0600, Tony Pitman wrote:
> Stephen,
>
> that is one of the weird things. I went back to mac os and deleted the
> partitions hoping that maybe the installer would rather create them itself.
> When i look at /proc/partitions now (after rebooting and getting the
> installer going again) it shows all the partitions including the ones I
> removed.
>
> it seems to get hung up on partitions.
>
> I was wondering if this could be a similar problem to the Q700 2 drive
> problem? While trying to install on a Q700 I had to add a line
> (mac53c9x=1,0) to fix that problem. Is there something similar maybe going
> on?

Is this box running a 68040 or 68LC040? At least some C610's came with
the latter, which doesn't run linux reliably.

I wouldn't be surprised if the C610 used the same chip at the C650, so
mac53c9x=1,0 would be your friend.

Do you have any problems uses mac-fdisk from vc2?

You'll need mac53c9x=1,0 (mac53c9x=2,0 on Quadra900/950, or mac53c9x=-1,0 in general) if you have a NCR53c9x type controller (instead of a NCR5380) and multiple SCSI drives. All 68040's have a 53c9x controller, and some 68LC040's have a 5380, some a 5380. The page at http://maclinuxstatus.sourceforge.net/status used to be a good resource on the hardware and support for it in Linux/Mac68k, but that page is not accessible anymore, so please find it at: http://web.archive.org/web/20040211060716/maclinuxstatus.sourceforge.net/status/ When I was just looking to find your C610 at this page I saw it isn't listed. This means there's been no report about it working with Linux/mac68k. It does not means it's not working. Also www.everymac.com does not reveil the type of SCSI controller, only whether the machine has SCSI or IDE, just like the page google found on apple.com. But maybe Penguin has this information for you in one of the menu's? Look at the Hardware > Machine Profile menu, and look for one (or two) "Yes"'s after SCSI_5380 (=ncr5380) or SCSI_5396 (=mac53c9x: ncr53c94 or ncr53c96)

HTH, Erik
Erik C.J. Laan				elaan at dds.nl
Please reply below the message, please cut unrelevant pieces from a reply.