Re: Xf86 and fbdev, unresolved symbol

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 03:01, cummings@stingray.net wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Sarah wrote:
>
> > I'm using fbdev. However X fails with the error:
> >
> > Symbol fbPictureInit from module /usr/XllR6/lib/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.o is unresolved!
>
> I don't believe it's a config problem.  I have not got an answer
> on this problem but I believe it to be a programming error in the FB
> device driver.

Yes, I think it is. The fb module can't be used together with the afb
module, the fbdevhw module shouldn't try to load it on Amiga type
framebuffers.

But then again, last time I checked (which was in 2000 or something) the
afb module didn't work anyway.

I had a working 4.0 version then, but I let it slip because I was still
struggling with problems in the m68k module loader and other things
became more important.

I might still have the diffs somewhere. There seems to be a little more
interest again, so maybe I can finish it this time.

You might be able to run in 1-bit mode, I think that did still work, but
that's probably not what you want ;-)

> I do generally expect a stable release to work out of the box on a stock
> Amiga because that's a common configuration, it's not like we have that
> many graphic card choices with the AGA chipset and the built in graphics,
> there is but choice for a stock Amiga 4000 and that mode should work
> before a release is deemed stable.

It all depends on what you call "common" I suppose... there aren't that
many people left that actively use Amigas, especially not with X and the
AGA chipset because it's so dead slow (with 8 planes and a high
resolution).

> Off my soapbox.
>
> If I get my Amiga to run X I'll post back how I did it.  From what I've
> seen I think figuring out how to downgrade to the 3.x version would work,
> possibly upgrading to the version in the next release might work.  With
> the Internet now working from my Amiga box both options are now available
> to me where before they were not.

Your best bet is the xserver-fbdev_3.3.6-11potato32 from
security.debian.org. Of course it requires a different config file and
some new packages might not like such an old X server. You probably need
to extract the files manually because you (probably) don't want to
install the xserver-common package that goes with it.

I still have that one installed on my Debian Woody based Amiga.

There's also still a xfree86v3 directory in the pool, but it doesn't
seem to get built for m68k. Perhaps that might be a good idea until the
4.x tree is fixed.

Kind regards,

Kars.