Re: Quadra 700 install problem (sarge RC1)

Stephen,

I am having a problem with a Q610.

It is hanging when it tries to detect the drives after setting up the network and connecting to ftp.debian. It has already loaded the CDROM ISO image. I have the business card image from stable sarge.

If I command-left arrow to see the text displays (there are 2) the messages are:

/dev/loop/0: ioctl BLKBS2GET failed: Invalid argument
/dev/sda: ioctl BLKBS2GET failed: Invalid argument

(it does this for all the partitions that are mounted then....)

No matching physical volumes found

then it repeats the above Invalid argument lines and has...

No volume groups found

Then on the next terminal output I see:

all of these lines start with the date and time so I won't repeat that:

main-menu[345]: DEBUG: virtual package harddrive-detection
kernel: ll_rw_block: device 08:00: only 512-char blocks implemented (1024)
kernel: ll_rw_block: device 08:00: only 512-char blocks implemented (1024)

and that is the end of that display.

I have a 170mb drive as SCSI device 0 and a 50mb Mac partition that I am booting Penquin from. The rest is blank. SCSI device 1 is a 230mb drive that is all blank.

I got these same results when I first partitioned the drives to have the root and swap partitions on SCSI device 0 and a usr partition on SCSI device 1.

I do not have a cdrom drive that works so I am doing the hard drive only install. The business card iso image is on the mac partition. It seems to read that ok.

Thanks,

Tony Pitman