Re: light weight desktop for browsing

Ron,

Good to know.

So the front runner combination at this point is xfce and Dillo.

Tony

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 11:26 +1000, Finn Thain wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 02:42:29PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 13:21 -0600, Tony Pitman wrote:
[snip]
> > If you really want some lightweight window manager, try twm. That's just
> > a window manager, nothing more; it takes up a few kilobytes and is
> > probably the oldest window manager out there. Although ugly, it works
> > perfectly well, and doesn't require any resources.
>
> If you need a more flexible or attractive window manager, check out fvwm
> or openbox. openbox is a bit more modern and has no deps (just X11),
> though fvwm is probably a bit quicker.

Don't know about sarge's version of openbox, but sid's depends on
libxml2, which is pretty heavy, AFAICT and also libglib2.0-0.

So, since dillo requires libglib1.2 and libgtk1.2, you'd have
libglib1.2 & libglib2.0-0 loaded simultaneously.

I think I'd choose a minimal xfce, since it's Depends has substan-
tial overlap with dillo.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by
stupidity."
Hanlon's Razor
"Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by
incompetence"
Napoleon