Re: m68k und ipv6?

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 11:33:01AM +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> One question, how does using IPv6 give you a public IP?

Since the address space is so much larger (128 bit adresses instead of
32), it's fairly common to have a /64 for a LAN. My /64 is
2001:838:37f:20; my home workstation has
2001:838:37f:20:60:8cff:fe7a:8030 as its IPv6 address. Of course, this
is only useful when I'm at a site where there is IPv6 connectivity as
well; but if I am, I can just log in to my home system by ssh'ing to
"rock.grep.be", which resolves to the above IP address

(or at least it did, I've had to change the network card recently, and
since IPv6 knows autoconfiguration based on the MAC address (which is a
lot easier to configure than DHCP), it changed)

> Can I have one too?

Sure. Just find yourself an IPv6 address broker (freenet6.org or
something similar is one, but it's based in Canada; alternatively,
contact <fabbione@debian.org> who does IPv6 brokering for DDs), set up
radvd on a server, and load the modules. That's all there is to it,
really.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks