Re: Installing Debian on an SE/30

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 12:35:11PM -0500, Jesse R. Lucke wrote:

> Pardon me, but I'm somewhat new to the Linux world. I don't know quite
> what you mean by creating devices manually.

Then maybe you should just follow Hank's advice? See:

http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/woody/

Known problem number 4. Just type it in or get the fixed rootimage.

> When I get to the installation of the kernel, I am presented with a list
> of devices where the kernal parts (sorry if that's the wrong term) may be
> found and get to choose the correct one. When I try the CD it says it
> cannot mount the device. I know it's seeing the device 'cause there's a
> message about loading drivers for it earlier in the process.

Yes, it is seeing the device, but it's missing the device files, which are
necessary to mount a device. Try "man mount", then "man makedev", "man
mknod", "man ln" and after that you will know more about this than we all
combined. Your drive is probably fine. BTW, is it possible to connect a
standard SCSI CD-Rom to a Mac? It would be nice if I could use it from
MacOS, but even if it just works in Linux it would be ok. I have a 4x CD-Rom
and a 4x CD-R left over, and my Mac has no optical drive.

Christian