Re: Installing Debian on an SE/30

.

Now, of course, it refuses to mount my Debian CD. Maybe I should try a
newer CD drive--I'm using an old Sony/Apple 2x caddy loader. Any hints
getting it to snag the data from the disc if I mount it on my PPC and make
it available via FTP/HTTP?

You can set up an nfs server and export your cd.
read man exports
Then you can mount -t nfs 192.168.1.2 (whatever):/home/cd   or whatever
But read the FAQ at people.debian.org/~cts for install problems with the debian CD. In essence the installer fails to create a /dev/sr0 or a /dev/sr1 so that the installer can load a CDROM device. If you'll follow the FAQ's, you can get it up and running.

However, the CDROM runs so slow and might crash on the 5380 SCSI chip. So it's better to do a network install. It's much faster and eliminates most of the problems with the buggy SCSI operations on the 5380.

Hank

I tried this last night, and my server (FTPd)
reported a hit but also an error.

Thanks,
Jesse