Re: Installer not recognizing partitions

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:29:37AM -0700, Douglas wrote:
> Hi, I'm a medium level LINUX user with little
> programing experience trying to install Woody on a Mac
> Centris 650.  I've previously had Slink installed on
> this same machine but haven't played with it in
> several years.  Now I thought I'd try Woody
>
> My problem is rather strange.  I'v partitioned the
> disk several times with different applications in the
> same manner that I did when installing Slink.  The
> problem is that the installer won't recognize any of
> my partitions as either Swap, or Linux partitions.
> More strange is that now the installer on the Slink
> disk ALSO refuses to see the partitions, no matter
> what method I use to partition the disk.
>
> Worse, when I first tried to install Woody, it DID
> recognize the partitions, but wouldn't mount the
> install CD when it cam time to install the base
> system.

There is a bug mounting the CD, you must start without
the CD in the carrier and put it in after the installer
has loaded.

> Since then I've tried several different
> applications to re-format the hard drive (a 1.2gb IBM)
> and partition to specs, and downloaded a second copy
> of the Woody install CD.  Now it has the partition
> issue.  Is this an installer problem?  Or possibly is
> my hard drive and/or CD drive not supported?  Why will
> Slink not install anymore?

I think one of your applications formatted the disk as a PC disk
rather than a mac disk. Partition 1 should be the partition map, and
probably has been made into a partition instead.  You can use
mac-fdisk to re-initialize the disk, the i command, and start again.

> Note that I have two Debian Woody install CDs, one an
> "Official" CD received by mail, and a second
> downloaded and burned. Both exhibit the same behavior-
> though oddly they are organized slightly differently.
>

> Dose anybody have any ideas?  I'm not too handy with
> mac-fdisk either, so if anybody has a link to a good
> step-by-step primer for it I would appreciate it.

There is some info at

http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml

(this link is also in the woody installation manual).

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People