medicine for GERD?

Dear Doctor:

I have been diagnosed as GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) but without severe heartburn symptom.  I was told that I need to take medicine for the rest of my life.  What medicine do I need to take considering long term and without/less side effects.  I work for GlaxoSmithkline Pharmaceuticals, I know that there are several classes of medicine available for GERD.  One is H2 blocker, and the other one is proton-pump inhibitor.

Thanks for your time.

Feilan Wang