Re: Mutt not finding messages in mbox format file

Hi Christian,

Thanks for taking a look at this.

> So I think you found a bug, in the mutt documentation.
>
> man mbox
>
>  The date is expected to be formatted according to the following syntax
>  (represented in the augmented Backus-Naur formalism used by RFC 822):
>
> [...]
>
> Example:
>
>         From roessler@does-not-exist.org Fri Jun 23 02:56:55 2000
>

> The date format you where trying is the output of 822-date:
format 1
> Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:27:14 -0400
> which is ie in debian changelogs. It seems the mbox format uses date instead:
format 2
> Fri Aug 22 20:27:14 EDT 2003
>
> Christian

I did observe that

man date

lists the -R option which gives the date in RFC 822 format (format 1, above)
which is what I would have expected mutt to be looking for.  It seems
that exim, when sending sending a local message, writes the
"From " line according to the second format.  The default mail user
agent (BSD mail) does not have a problem with either form of the
"From " line.

It also seems that formail does not change the format of the "From " line
to the format the mutt expects.

--Lance
--
Lance Tagliapietra | lancetag@luminet.net | Contract Software Engineer
Amiga Enthusiast   |   TeXnically Aware   | Embedded Systems Developer