Re: Mutt not finding messages in mbox format file

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 06:15:16PM -0500, Lance Tagliapietra wrote:

> >From lancetag@luminet Sun, 10 Aug 3 23:02:23
> >From lancetag@luminet Fri Aug 22 11:50:13 2003
>
> The first example demonstates the format on the Mutt home page.

You mean this?
http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-4.html#ss4.6

> The second example demonstrates what Mutt requires.
>
> Does your mbox format file show this this format?

I did this on the archive on master:
grep "From " debian-68k.200308

And I get something like this:
 From list@murphy.debian.org Fri Aug 22 02:04:32 2003
 From list@murphy.debian.org Fri Aug 22 05:09:37 2003
 From list@murphy.debian.org Fri Aug 22 18:24:52 2003

So I think you found a bug, in the mutt documentation.

man mbox

 The date is expected to be formatted according to the following syntax
 (represented in the augmented Backus-Naur formalism used by RFC 822):

[...]

Example:

        From roessler@does-not-exist.org Fri Jun 23 02:56:55 2000

The date format you where trying is the output of 822-date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:27:14 -0400
which is ie in debian changelogs. It seems the mbox format uses date instead:
Fri Aug 22 20:27:14 EDT 2003

Christian