Re: 68k or m68k port status

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 09:29:14AM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > For example:
> > I have an A3000 as my main television with my PicassoIV/PalomaTV combo... I
> > really would like to have a driver to use PalomaTV with Linux, but that?s
> > not possible atm. I can?t program the driver myself although I have best
> > contacts to the people who made the card... the A3000 is simply to slow with
> > its 030/25 and its 12 MB of Ram, so that installing woody would take a two
> > weeks time because of constantly swapping (dpkg will use approx. 20 MB)...
> > So, I fall apart as a kernel tester...
> Do you have a second machine to cross compile kernels?

Sure... arrakis ;))

> My Amiga 4000/040 also has only 12 MB Fast RAM, and a 25 MHz '040 is just twice
> as fast as your '030 (while the A3000 has the better memory subsystem ;-)
> But I have to admit that installing Debian packages takes quite a while... 2
> weeks is probably a good estimate for a full install. If you don't need the
> full install, it can be done in a few days.

I could install potato from CDs, which is actually fast because it has fewer
packages that dpkg would have to hold... and there shall be a dpkg-switch
for low memory machine, but I don´t want to be TV-less for a week or more,
because PalomaTV is my only TV... so if you would tell me that there is a
linux driver for PalomaTV (or you want to write one), it could make me
switch from AmigaOS to Linux on that machine... ;)

--
Ciao...              //
      Ingo         \X/