Re: 68k or m68k port status

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 08:23:26AM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-07-09 00:22:04 +0200, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be>
>
> > It would be *really* cool to have some Debian Text Centre. I know that
> > there are autobuilders available for all architectures, but they
> > fullfill a different need (-> a hopefully stable box to compile all the
> > userspace). But that's only half of the truth. We also need some boxes
> > running the bleeding edge stuff to recognize risig problems _early_.
> > I could basically give some machines for such a Test Centre, but
> > unfortunately, I don't have a place to put them to, nor do I have power
> > and appropriate connectivity.
> > Maybe some university could offer some room in some dark cellar?!
>
> The problem is not to have lots of machines (I have as well two machines
> standing around), but to have people who are doing the testing.

Indeed.

> Kernel testing is not something you can do safely from remote sites, but
> where you have to sit in front of the machine in case of emergency...
>
> For example:
> I have an A3000 as my main television with my PicassoIV/PalomaTV combo... I
> really would like to have a driver to use PalomaTV with Linux, but thatŽs
> not possible atm. I canŽt program the driver myself although I have best
> contacts to the people who made the card... the A3000 is simply to slow with
> its 030/25 and its 12 MB of Ram, so that installing woody would take a two
> weeks time because of constantly swapping (dpkg will use approx. 20 MB)...
> So, I fall apart as a kernel tester...

Do you have a second machine to cross compile kernels?

My Amiga 4000/040 also has only 12 MB Fast RAM, and a 25 MHz '040 is just twice
as fast as your '030 (while the A3000 has the better memory subsystem ;-)

But I have to admit that installing Debian packages takes quite a while... 2
weeks is probably a good estimate for a full install. If you don't need the
full install, it can be done in a few days.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds