Re: Debian available as tarballs?

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, John Klos wrote:
> I'd like to get a copy of the latest stable Debian files as tarball. I
> have found and downloaded base2_2.tgz, which seems like what I want, but I
> do not see one for anything newer.

In newer versions, the base*tgz is replaced by basedebs.tar, which is just a
tar archive of *.deb files.

> Is there a reason for this? All of the docs about alternate methods of
> installation presume way too much: I neither care to use an x86 nor do I
> have physical access to the machine I'd like these files for. I simply
> wish to get an m68k Debian installation into a directory on a NetBSD
> machine.

A *.deb file is just an ar archive. You can use `ar -x' to extract the
individual parts of the archive, after which you can use plain tar to extract
all files to install from data.tar.gz.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds