Re: Mac Linux Boot Problem

On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 01:25, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 12:33:51AM -0400, Benzo Harris wrote:
> > Hi,
> >     I'm working with Debian 2.2 on a Quadra 900, and I'm using penguin
> > booter 18.2. I've followed your instructions word for word, and when I boot,
> > I get a black screen with the last line being ABCFGHIJ. Then the thing just
> > sits there. I've looked all over the site, and I can't figure out why this
> > is doing this. I was hoping you might have some insight to offer.
> >
> >     Thanks
> >
> >     Benzo Harris
> >         Devoted Macintosh (and Linux) fan/user
>
> I've had that happen often when I failed to boot MacOS with extensions
> off, and also when I tried to boot Linux from an external scsi drive.

I forgot about this issue.  The Quadra 9x0s actually have two SCSI
buses, which  MacOS treats as one.  Linux however treats them as two
SCSI buses.  The internal drives are on the first bus and the external
drives are on the second.  This will cause some problems if you're
trying to boot from an external device as Linux will most likely have a
different idea of drive ordering than MacOS.

> You can enable some of the options in Penguin to record its progress
> in disk files, and then go back to see how far it really got after the
> attempt.
>
> Penguin 19, in Debian 3.0, has some improvements; I don't know
> if that would help but it's always worth a shot.

You should be using Penguin 19 and Debian 3.0 with at least a 2.2.20
kernel version.  Anything older has several irritating bugs that have
since been corrected.

Ray