X11 install hosed login

I've got Debian "potato" installed on a Quadra 650 and running nicely.
After I installed the X11R6 package, which appeared to go smoothly, I am no
longer able to login to the system.

The system boots, and gets to the login prompt ok, except for the fact that
the hostname is listed as "(none)".  When I enter a valid user & password,
login processes it then fails to load bash, and I'm sitting at the login
prompt again.  Anyone else ever heard of this?

I tried to fix this manually, mucking around in inittab, rcS, and other
places, but I'm no Unix guru, and I haven't come across anything that
appears to be the cause of the problem.

Thanks for any help you might have.

Carlos