Re: CD Player Software for Debian?

Hi Frank,

> On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 09:17:28AM +0000, Lance Tagliapietra wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to be able to listen to my audio CDs on my CD-ROM
> > drive under Linux.  Can someone recommend a package for the
> > 68K which will start a CD playing, and does not require X Window
> > installed?
>
> The most basic one is cdtool.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Well, I did the "apt-get install cdtool"
and cdtool was installed.  My goal here was modest.  I just wanted
to be able to plug my headphones into to port on the faceplate of
the cd-rom drive and listen to my discs while learning linux.  :)

It works, but not completely.

cdplay start does not work as expected.  I can see the cd-rom being
   accessed, but playing does not start.

cdplay info  works and gives status
cdplay dir   works and gives a listing of the tracks on the disc.
cdplay #     does not play a track as expected from the man page.

So I know that the cd-rom drive is being accessed.

So far I'm only able to get discs to play is with the command

cdplay shuffle

which I need to run in the background to get my command prompt back.

The CDROM type can be found in my dmesg at
http://www.luminet.net/~lancetag/dmesg

Suggestions?

--Lance

--
Lance Tagliapietra | lancetag@luminet.net | Contract Software Engineer
Amiga Enthusiast   |   TeXnically Aware   | Embedded Systems Developer