Re: Starting with Debian 68k..

Marijn Vriens wrote:
> Someone gave me an older mac (630CD if im not mistaken). that
> I would like to install Debian Linux on. There's a catch tho, that is
> that the machine doesn't boot MacOS anymore (I know the hardware is
> still okay, the MacOS on the machine is just really confused).
>
> The problem is, it didn't come with disks or CD and it's the only mac I
> have so I can't create the bootdisks that apple has available for
> download.
>
> So my question is, does anybody have the Images I need to first get
> MacOS going, partition the ide-drive and install Debian (it's still
> imposible to boot straight to Linux on a mac 68k right?) in simple
> files that I can just gunzip and dd to a floppy from a i386 machine.
>
> Any help apriciated, i'm pretty stuck, and would like to use the
> machine.

As it seems you do have a i386 machine, you can use the MacEtte program
to create Mac floppies on it. See
www.sjoki.uta.fi/~shmhav/mac-internet.txt and
www.sjoki.uta.fi/~shmhav/68000.txt for details. These faq's deal with
getting  the m68k Mac's to run anything, and to get them on the
internet, without any previous running MacOS, CD's or disks.

HTH, Erik.
Erik C.J. Laan				elaan at dds.nl
Please reply below the message,	 please cut unrelevant pieces from a
reply.