Re: Disk Eject Problem

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 03:47:23AM -0200, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> > If they say you need to use something called 'Disk Copy', I presume that
> > means you've got an image. If that is the case, please try the
> > following:
>
> Oh! I was wrong. The images to be copied to floppy is for System 7.5.3.
> However, even with the mistake of asking wrong, the problem remains the
> same to me: How can I put the System 7.0.1 on floppy, using GNU/Linux?
>
> --
> Name:         System 7.5 Version 7.5.3
>
> (...)
>
> Instructions:
> This software is available as 19 parts of a self-mounting Disk Copy
> image. Download all 19 parts to your hard drive and then double-click
> on the first part to mount the compressed disk image on your desktop.
> --
>
> The reason for System 7.0.1 instead of System 7.5.3 is because I have a
> slower Macintosh LCII with only 4MB RAM; System 7.0.1 requires less memory
> than System 7.5.3.
>
> This is curious. I have no idea how to manage this data:
>
> bash-2.05$ ls -al
> -rw-r--r--  1 dab__  users  4836709 Apr 14  1999 System 7.0.1.smi.data
> -rw-r--r--  1 dab__  users      128 Apr 14  1999 System 7.0.1.smi.info
> -rw-r--r--  1 dab__  users   310737 Apr 14  1999 System 7.0.1.smi.rsrc

Those are the 3 pieces: data fork, finder info, and resource fork.
This can't fit on a floppy, though: it's a 'full' System 7.0.1
installer, rather than a 'floppy size' or 'Disk Tools' 7.0.1.

The self-mounting image (smi) can only be handled by MacOS AFAIK.
I don't think this can help you until you have a MacOS to bootstrap
with. Tonight, I'll try copying a floppy System image into Linux
and back out onto a floppy if that works, I'll let you know.

The other suggestion might do the trick; if you can find the 7.0.1
(or even 6.7?) Disk Tools.img, then try to use dd to just write it
directly to a floppy.

If you get booted with a Disk Tools floppy, and those files are on
an HFS partition on your Desktop, maybe they would open up by double
clicking one of them; and that would allow you to install 7.0.1.
(The Disk Tools by itself isn't an installable system).

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003