Re: LC III & networking possible?

> Some Asante cards don't work properly when connected to a 10/100 hub or
> switch (the 10/100 hub switch doesn't seem able to negotiate the speed
> correctly).  Try using a 10Mb hub or switch and then uplink the 10MB
> hub/switch to your router.

I've heard of mixed success using this method. If after exploring all my
options with the Apple card, it still doesn't work, then I'll pick up a
cheap hub off of ebay and give it a try.

> Some of the sonic cards don't get shut down by MacOS properly in some
> cases.  A solution that works for some is to disconnect the network
> cable before booting Linux and plug it back in after Linux starts.

It doesn't look like this did the trick. I re-installed potato last night
and every subsequent boot gives me the following results regardless if the
network cable attached or not:

Checking for internal Macintosh ethernet (SONIC).. none.
sonic.c:v0.92 20.9.98 tsbogend@alpha.franken.de
eth0: Apple Ethernet LC Twisted-Pair Card in slot E
eth0: revision 0x0101, using 16 bit DMA and register offset 0
MAC 00:05:02:52:ba:d5 IRQ 61
Instruction fault at 0x00006de4
BAD KERNEL BUSSERR
Oops: 00000000
PC: [<00006de4>]
.....more follows

Not the kernel panic I was getting earlier, which I believe happened after
attempting different kernels, settings etc.

> > I've read today that the latest 2.4.20 kernel has support for the
> sonic ethernet card. I'll try that next (if I can get my cd-rom to read
> my discs..grrr). I haven't had much success with the 2.4.x kernels so
> far, so I'm not holding my breath with this one either.
> >

> 2.4.20 doesn't boot on any Macintosh that I'm aware of.  The last 2.4
> kernel to work to my knowledge was 2.4.1 which worked fairly well on my
> IIfx until it's ancient disk crashed.

No luck getting my old cd-rom to read the disk I made with 2.4.20 anyway.
I'll try with 2.4.1 and see what happens.

One question regarding using a different kernel when installing. I've done
it before, but I end up missing modules. Where can I find the latest kernel
& modules to use to replace the ones from the potato install images?

Thanks, Brad